Updated: 06/11/2022 – 13:10
He loved Mediterranean cuisine
Zaalouk: Do you know Moroccan eggplant salad?
The eggplant dish Zaalou is a popular dish, but it is also eaten with toasted bread as a salad. We fell in love with the recipe!
And it’s done like this:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pierce the aubergines in several places with a kitchen knife. Place on the tray, select the grill function in the oven and slide directly under the hot grill. Leave the aubergines in the oven for 50 minutes, turning every 15 minutes. Eggplants are done when the skin is completely charred and the flesh is tender inside.
- Let the eggplants cool for 3 minutes. Then remove the flesh of the aubergines from the skin and hang them in colander over a bowl. It should drain for 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic. Wash the tomato, peel it, remove the stem and cut it into 1.5 large cubes. Wash the coriander and finely chop it with the stems.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide saucepan or heavy skillet. Add the garlic, cumin, dry coriander, paprika and chilli. Mix everything over medium heat. This takes about 5 minutes. But be careful: the garlic should not burn.
- Lower the heat and add the canned tomatoes to the pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to blend the flavors. Now stir in the fresh chopped tomatoes, the drained aubergine flesh and the sugar and salt. Cook for another 10-13 minutes on high heat.
- Turn off the heat, add fresh coriander and lemon juice. Season again with salt. Serve warm Zaalou with toasted bread and enjoy.
Don’t be put off because our zaalou won’t be ready for another two hours. Check out our Zaalouk recipe. And did you notice that it only takes a few simple steps? The dish almost makes itself. It comes from Morocco, but is eaten throughout the Mediterranean region.
Eggplants feel at home in many of the nation’s cuisines. In Greece, for example, they end up in a delicious moussaka with minced meat, vegetables and feta cheese. In our moussaka recipe, we replaced part of the potato with zucchini and used low-fat tartare meat. This saves a lot of unnecessary calories. Of course, the taste remains sensational.
In Turkey, on the other hand, eggplants are baked with bulgur salad. The dish is light and refined with fresh spinach. Of course, we have more recipes with dark purple eggplant, eggplant. We like to enjoy these 8 great eggplant variations alone.
Eggplants have a permanent place in vegetarian and vegan menus. Why? They are quite open to change. In our gallery we present some great vegan lightning recipes that we recommend for you. Above all stuffed eggplant with bulgur and beans sensational taste
And if anyone complains about vegan recipes: spaghetti with tomato sauce is also vegan. And half of humanity can agree on this dish, as well as lasagna. In the video you can follow step by step a low carb lasagna with zucchini and eggplant.
Another tip: Please do not eat raw eggplant. It can cause stomach pain and diarrhea. And nobody really wants that. You can find even more facts, suggestions, tips and recipes on the healthy and loved eggplant page. So now we hope you have fun cooking Zaalou. You will be surprised: Such a simple recipe and so much flavor.
Prefer to use your phone to travel? Get BILD der FRAU’s free recipe app directly on your mobile phone! Discover many quick and easy dishes, inspiration for a great dinner with friends or treats for your home bakery. Apple users can use the app Download it here – Android users will take turns Find it HERE.