Types of onions: Seven great ones for your kitchen

Without onions, without bacon, life has no purpose, as the saying goes. Although bacon is a negotiable item, it does exist Allium cepa no two opinions: onions always fit. There are hundreds of types of onions, but as in the western classic mentioned above, the same goes for the type of onion: more than. The Magnificent Seven (classic western, USA 1960) he doesn’t need (the kitchen) for success. Now you know for which dishes you can best use onions, shallots, etc.

Onion Varieties: All are healthy

Onions are healthy in two ways. They are 90% water, but the remaining 10% are hard. In addition to vitamins A and C, it offers some B vitamins, fluorine, potassium, calcium and antioxidants. And since onions grow, they hardly need to be fertilized artificially, so it’s almost. natural born organic. This applies equally to all types of onions, however, there are some important differences that we would like to present to you below.

1. Onion: essential in your kitchen

has the onion or Yellow onion is, without a doubt, the most popular variety of onion. It is available all year round and pleases with its distinct spiciness and pungency. Whether raw, cooked, steamed or roasted, it always gives food that decisive kick. And it is also versatile: when it is slowly roasted at a low temperature, the spice gives a pleasant sweetness, due to the high glucose content. It is very demanding in cultivation, which is why it also grows well in Germany. It is also easy to store and stays fresh in the vegetable compartment for up to six months. And for these dishes, onions are essential:

2. White onion: mild variety

White onions need a warmer and drier climate to grow, which is why they are mostly imported from Italy or Spain. Often spherical, the relatively small onions are much milder and less spicy than onions, usually overcooked in “fine” recipes and perfect raw for salads. The star for these dishes is the onion variety.

3. Silver onion: Among the onion varieties, the mini is sour

Silver onions are very difficult to find in the wild, as they are not really a distinct variety. This is how the small, small specimens of the special table and spring onions are called. Their destiny is to be collected in pickles and filled in small jars, either as a single variety or as part of mixed pickles. They are then eaten as part of a summer buffet, where they add accents with their sweet-and-sour crunch. Even connoisseurs can use pickled silver onions to prepare an excellent venison ragout. It is an exception among onion varieties.

4. Red onion: The prettiest of all

The most visually striking of the onion varieties, it not only contrasts beautifully with raw vegetables or stews, but also impresses with its sweet taste and is suitable for “finer” and savory dishes, such as a venison ragout. Thanks to their sweetness, you can also use them to make a delicious candied or chutney. It’s a known fact: red onions contain twice as many antioxidants as all other varieties, making them super healthy. It plays an important role in these dishes, for example:

A white plate on a gray background with pepper salad with feta cheese


5. Vegetable onion: a comfortable thickness

Large vegetable onions, often weighing more than 200 grams, are aromatic, but very mild and almost sweet. They are often used in soups or casseroles. Due to their size, they are also ideal for filling, for example with minced meat or spicy stuffing made with mushrooms and vegetables.

Fun fact: The heaviest onion plant to date was a specimen of the English variety Kelsey It weighed over 6 kg! It is an obelisk of onion varieties.

6. Shallot: A noble relative

The finest and mildest onion, Latin Allium cepa ascalonicum, took its name from the city of Ascalon on Israel’s Mediterranean coast, now known as Ashkelon. It actually comes from Asia. Today, however, the delicate, oblong, often pear-shaped purple onion is associated with fine French and Italian cuisine. Mediterranean cuisine likes all kinds of onions, but especially likes this one. Shallots are also an essential ingredient to prepare a great risotto. We recommend these classic Italian rices:

7. Spring onion: green freshness

Spring onions with their small white bulbous bodies and beautiful green shoots are best eaten raw. Cut into slices and rings, they add the finishing touch to salads and Asian dishes. White tuber and light green shoots are used. The rest is left out

Conclusion: There are many types of onions!

As mentioned earlier, there are hundreds of varieties of onions. Try something new! Now you know the 7 best varieties. You can find even more insider knowledge from the vegetable kitchen in the gallery. In it, for example, we explain how leeks and spring onions differ.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *