Delicious home cooking with spicy names
The “Strammer Max” dish is well known and popular throughout Germany as pub food and home cooking. Take a slice of bread, ham and a fried egg – a quick and filling meal is ready. But who is this Max? I did a little research and this is the result: The expression comes from the Saxon hosts, because in the 1920s the dish was called that because it was said to have a power-enhancing effect on the man’s best piece (Strammen Max). Is it true? I can’t judge now, but I know the bread tastes delicious.
This is how it is done:
You only need a few ingredients for two servings:
- 2 slices of bread (eg mixed bread or rye bread)
- 20 grams of butter
- Rocket cream cheese:
- 150 grams of cream cheese
- 30 g of arugula
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 0.5 teaspoons of salt
- 0.5 teaspoons of pepper
- 4 eggs
- 100 g Parma ham, sliced
- 30 g parmesan, shaved
- 50 g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- The parcel
Preparation is quick:
- For the bread: Melt the butter in a pan and toast the bread slices until they are crispy on both sides. remove
- In the same pan, break the eggs and fry the fried eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the rocket cream cheese: Wash the rocket, dry it and cut it into small pieces. Mix cream cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Spread the toasted bread slices with the rocket cream cheese. Top with Parma ham and a fried egg. Cut fresh Parmesan on top and garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley.
- Already finished!
Prefer something “real” for dinner? Then try this quick pepper and cream chicken and voila! Or would you prefer something without meat? This vegetarian beetroot and potato gratin also impresses with its pink color.
Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll regularly send you delicious, mouth-watering culinary inspiration.