Italian cuisine is very popular all over the world, and rightfully so. Among other things, the Arancini Siciliani is delicious. Have you ever made your own Sicilian rice balls?
When it comes to cuisine, no other nation can beat Italy. Spaghetti, pizza, etc. are among the favorite foods of many people around the world. Have you ever ordered Arancini Siciliani in an authentic Italian restaurant? You can also make traditional Sicilian rice balls, filled with minced meat, yourself at home and at least the taste will transport you to a warmer place.
You can also bring the Italian attitude to life at home with the five-ingredient potato soup or enjoy Bella Italia with the help of creamy tomato gnocchi soup and Mediterranean olive bread.
You need the following ingredients to make the Arancini Siciliani recipe
- 2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 300 grams of minced meat
- 1 carrot
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 150 grams of peas
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- a little water
- 250 grams of rice
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 100 grams of ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams of flour
- 100 grams of breadcrumbs
- fat (for frying)
Don’t want to miss out on more recipes and kitchen tricks?
Click here for the gourmet newsletter from partner Merkur.de
Arancini Siciliani recipe: this is how you make traditional Sicilian rice balls easily
- Peel the onion and garlic, cut them both into small pieces and sauté an onion with the garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Then add the minced meat and fry.
- The carrot is then peeled, grated and mashed. Mix the oregano, peas and tomato paste, sprinkle with salt and pepper and let the sauce simmer for a while. If necessary, you will need to add a little water.
- Take the second onion and sauté it in a pan with the remaining olive oil. Add the rice and sweat it too. Gradually add the vegetable stock and simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid and reached the desired consistency.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the rice to cool slightly. Then stir in the ricotta and an egg. Using a spoon, scoop out a portion of the risotto, hold it in your hand and flatten it. Top with a spoonful of tomato and minced meat filling and top with a spoonful of risotto. Finally form round rice balls.
- Repeat until the risotto and filling are used up, being careful not to let the filling spill out of the Arancini Siciliani.
- When you have made all the Sicilian rice balls, beat in the second egg. Then sprinkle the homemade Arancini Siciliani with flour, dip the rice balls in eggs and finally cover them with breadcrumbs.
- Heat the fat in a deep fryer to around 180 degrees Celsius and fry the Arancini Siciliani in it for three minutes one after the other. Use paper towels to drain excess grease from the fryer.